What I would like to see done for the day is: sew the two pairs of pants. The shirtwaist dress will have to wait until later due to incoming client work.
Black fabric….and both sides appear to look the same….but are not the same. Up close there appears to be little difference. However to be safe I treat all textiles as though they have a dye lot and I do not want to mix up the right side from the wrong…..and I have a trick that is better than my eye for this.
I use a photo magnifier. I have cut the cloth with right sides together – but if I confuse the order of the pieces I can use this handy tool to make sure that I construct the garments consistently throughout.
10:15am – iron on, all machines threaded, set to start.
12:15pm – pant backs are together, pockets all constructed – ready to make the fly fronts…..after a lunch.
2:45pm – fly front zippers are in, side seams, inseams and hems done. Waistband assembly and attachment is next
3:45pm – sewing and buttonholes done. Buttons attached. I’ll throw them through the wash to bring the stretch seams back to original dimension (they stretch out a bit during the construction process).
The day is glorious – time for a walk out in the Vancouver sunshine.
6:15pm – a light iron, a bit of steam and these are done.
Setting a challenge was good. It kept me on task (mostly) and even though I did not get the shirtwaist dress done, I know that getting the blouse and both pairs of pants done was more than I would have done without the word ‘challenge’ attached to it. I’m going to do this again.
Until then – happy sewing everyone!